- My tutee this semester is the fucking best. We get along so well.
- We talked about media today. We don’t have a lot of things in common on that way, but we were able to bridge that gap and talk about writing techniques we really respond to.
- We also bonded over getting high and watching TV. Like, she is my younger me.
- For spring break, one of her assignments is to watch House of Cards. I told her I would watch it too and we could talk about.
- So like A+.
- I also had an advising appointment with the academic coordinator of the Fiction department (who pretty much loves me) and it went really well. He gave me some really good advice about what to take and that I should look for internships.
- So I just applied for an internship with 826CHI which would be the bee’s knees, and I’m also looking at interning with the Institute for Reading Development.
- Basically, I’m having a better day than expected and Fiction faculty loves me and I’m doing good things in life.
I just went back and looked at my lists tag, all the way back to when I lived in the dorms. I was so weird, man. I used to just post lists of what I was going to do that day. And then go back and cross things I did out?
I dunno, man, be glad you follow me now, I am so much less annoying.
- Schwarma with Liz was delicious. Friend dates may be my favorite thing in the world.
- I actually did my homework at work today!
- Also the guy I work with on Mondays and Saturdays is actually reeeeally creepy. Like, ridiculous. Today I could see the thumbnails on his flash drive and they were all of pictures of gay twinks and other things porn.
- Why do you need gay porn on a flash drive? That’s all I want to know.
- Also this story is really shaping up.
- I’m just a lil anxious to turn it into Nami Mun aka favorite writer. She means so much to me and I’m afraid she’ll see my writing and be like, go home.
- This is unlikely, I know.
- But still.
Going to Whataburger, my favorite fast food place here in town.
Going to the Menil Collection and Rothko Chapel, my favorite museums/places period here in town.
Going thrifting/antiquing in the Montrose area, my favorite shopping area here in town.
Hanging out with Katie, one of my favorite people here in town.
- You are young.
- Remember to give yourself time to breathe.
- If you aren’t content with something you are doing, change it so you can be.
- Life is too short to complain about things.
- Silence is golden.
- It’s okay to be bummed out when things don’t happen the way you want them to be.
- Everything in moderation, nothing in excess.
- Physical activity makes you happier then laying in your bed all day.
- Very few things are actually black and white.
- It’s okay to not know the answer to everything.
- Trust yourself and your creativity.
- Don’t run away from things you love.
- If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love anybody else?
- You only have one life, you might as well start living it.
- Despite everything else, you are in a good place.
5. if home is where the heart is, baby, then my home is inside you. i don’t need a living room of diamonds, a chicken shack will do do do do.
- Today, I had a three hour tutoring session because my tutee was irresponsible and didn’t show up last week (aka she was sick and I told her to stay home because ain’t nobody got time for that shit). Usually they are two hours, so I figured I would give her a break in the middle.
- I did and I felt like a real teacher and it felt good.
- And I did my favorite activity today with both of my students and it was good.
- And I’m going to hang out with Sarah and then go to my dealer’s place and I’m pretty much done with this semester and I just have to make it through another week and a half and I AM JUST SO STOKED THAT THIS SEMESTER IS PRETTY MUCH DONE WITH THANK THE LORD
1. I have to pee so bad but I am in the Guest Hospitality Suite for another twenty minutes and Jesus.
2. If you come to Orientation and you are from Texas, be prepared for me to terrify the crap out of you because I LOVE PEOPLE FROM TEXAS AND EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.
3. I got into a flame war on the internet yesterday with some guy about gun politics and I knew I shouldn’t have but he was really really unintelligent about a lot of his views (or at least was framing them in very unintelligent ways) so I had to take him down a peg (along with two other awesome OLs) and it was awesome.
Have an awesome day!
- Today went remarkably well at Orientation today. It was easily the day I’ve felt productive and like I did a really good job at every task that was thrown at me.
- Plus it was fiction day, and those are always when I feel strongest.
- I wonder if it’s because I feel like I have to do double duty, trying to make sure students are interested and excited to come to school not only at Columbia but in the fiction department.
- Anyhow, things were really good.
- And then, I came home and cleaned a little bit before Felicia, Brian and Rachel came over for book club.
- We made take and bake pizza and had a lively discussion about “The Imperfectionists” by Tom Rachman (which I loved).
- I also got a little schwasted on wine while they were here, but that makes it so much more grown up.
- A few other really good things:
- My nephew got an email address, and that meant he got a blog and thats really precious and I can’t even handle how much I love the email he sent me about his blog. <3
- I found out for sure that I will be going to hang out with my brother-in-law’s family for a few days in August and that I’ll be able to take a train there and I’m so excited.
- I also found out some great financial aid news and I’ll finally be able to get a Macbook this fall. Which will make my life so much more accessible and my computer usage a lot more enjoyable.
- Mainly because my current computer is falling on it’s last legs.
- So anyway, I’ve been having a great week and it’s only Tuesday!
- I hate turning people down when they try to make plans.
- And it’s summer so why am I busy?
- I won’t get a day off until Saturday, but I’m spending all day hanging out with my boy.
- It’s simultaneously completely strange and exhilarating to be able to say “my boy” and be referring to an actual boyfriend.
- Today in Old Navy (where I work), they played the new Beach House song “Myth” which was the weirdest experience ever.
- Speaking of Old Navy, this week the president of the company is coming to our store, so all of the managers are flipping a shit and tomorrow I picked up a shift closing and I’ll probably be stuck there forever. And then I have to be back there on Wednesday at 10 to meet the president of the company.
- I really wish I could just quit my job but I can’t.
- I thought that now that school was over, I would complain less.
- Clearly, that was just not the case.
- i just can’t handle my life and i wish that i was in my new apartment,
- all cuddled up with that dumb cute boy i’ve been talking to lately and my cat,
- away from the tension and rage and utter disrespect i’ve felt the past few weeks
- enjoying the outside and the beach SO CLOSE TO MY NEW PLACE
- and having a new job where i’ll get to know all of the new students of columbia and talk about it and show people around
- and getting paid AWESOME
- (and damn it will look good on my resume)
- (which is all i care about lately)
- and i won’t worry about final papers or whether the novel i’m working on is really what i want to be doing or if all along i’ve been gliding towards being a teacher like i’ve always wanted to be but never admitted to and if so what that means for me and writing and my work
- this summer when i finally sit down to crank out a real summer project whatever that turns out to look like
- and i’ll go to minneapolis to hang out with my favorite roommate and her awesome friends
- and all of my friends will be here and we’ll drink on our couches and floors and beds and talk about how important we are
- but none of this is possible
- because i still have nine days left
- had my first staff meeting as a new orientation leader.
- walked along the lake and did tourist stuff with ali and her best friend from home
- who is awesome and GORGEOUS
- discovered/remembered/realized that i move in exactly one week
- had lunch and wandered around stores with a really cute boy
- saw rent at columbia (which was actually pretty good)
- had dinner with all my favorite people at my favorite restaurant
- where my bff sarah told me that i’m glowing and i said “i know, it’s great.”
- walked home delirious with ali and bryn (“don’t park there” *guy parks there* “what?”)
i have a good feeling about this summer you guys.
- Blond hair
- A few new tattoos
- More weed
Hi, hello, hey.
This is my 2000th post (lol whaaaat?) so I thought I’d show you what I look like these days.
A few things:
- April will, undoubtedly, kill me.
- I’m not kidding.
- I have something I desperately have to do at least every day in the month of April.
- This includes at least FOUR major writing assigments, two tests and two presentations.
- Plus, Ali’s show goes up, we’ll have three visitors, I’ll probably help Sarah and Liz move, I have to move (the last weekend of the month) (which lands the same weekend as finals week) (just shoot me now) and I still have to, you know, work and shit.
- And now that we’re getting busier at work, I have to work all three days of my availability.
- Which is fine money wise.
- But not sanity wise.
- Not looking forward to it.
- Incidentally, I wish every day was spring break.
- On the brightside, Ali comes home tomorrow! I can stop talking to Kiki all the time now!
- I’m about to go grocery shopping for the first time since Katie was here.
- This makes me irresponsible. She left two weeks ago.
- Also, all my facial hair is gone. I just wanted to trim it, but I haven’t learned how to do that properly.
- Finally, now that Sarah is done with her 365 photo project, I never get pictures of myself. Which is weird.
- This has been irrelevant.
- Thanks for sticking around for 2000 posts!
- Here’s to 2000 more!
- the first coffee shop rachel and i tried to go to today turned out to be a restaurant. we awkwardly left.
- the second coffee shop rachel and i went to, red eyes, is quite possibly my new favorite in the city (although the tables are smaller than the ones at dollop, my close second favorite in the city)
- whenever i have to type a journal entry for one of my classes, i find i’m trying really hard to convince myself of what i’m trying to say.
- in this case, i’m trying really hard to convince myself that i love the novel i’m writing. which i do. kind of.
- is it summer yet?